It is commonly referred to as ubiquinone or ubiquinol and usually abbreviated as coq10; it is an oil soluble vitamin like substance present in body cells, predominantly the mitochondria where it is used to create cellular energy. It plays a major role in the transport of electrons and is important in cellular respiration. Benefits of CoQ10 are primarily focused on improving cellular energy production as well as overall cellular health, making it an extremely important supplement. Ensure that when looking for a quality CoQ10 supplement that you avoid any that don’t specifically state that they are a Ubiquinol CoQ10.
What Is Ubiquinol CoQ10?
The organs that use the most amount of energy in the body have the highest concentration of this substance. These are the liver, heart and kidneys. It exists in three redox states. These are fully oxidized where it is known as ubiquinone and semiquinone in neutral form. ubiquinol is the name given in its fully reduced state. Redox is a reversible chemical process that involves the movement of electrons, in which one reaction is an oxidation and the reverse reaction is a reduction.
The ability of coq10 to exist in the two forms, as fully reduced and fully oxidized, enables it to work as an antioxidant and in electron transport chains respectively.
Benefits of CoQ10
- Its work as an antioxidant helps to protect the body cells from free radicals that the body produces in the process of producing energy.
- Its other effects are the capability to heighten the production of cellular energy in the mitochondria, stabilization of membranes and the regulation of genes that are involved in energy production.
- One of the critical coq10 benefits is the conversion of nutrients into energy which is important for the cells of the heart. The synthesis of coq10 is greatly aided by adequate intake of vitamin b6. It also works together with vitamin E, maintaining the vitamin in adequate levels in the body for its properties in fighting free radicals. Another of Coq10 benefits to the body is increasing its oxygen usage.
- There are a myriad of benefits that have been discovered by modern medical advances. It is now available as a supplement to aid in various conditions. These include the following:
- It has been discovered that coq10 is effective in preventing injuries to the heart, helping in the formation of the heart muscle and is effective in the recovery of patients who have undergone heart surgery.
- Coq10 is beneficial in the decrease of the contractions of the heart, during which blood is pumped into the aorta and the arteries that lead to the lungs. The dilation of the heart that follows each contraction, during which they refill with blood. Effectively meaning that it reduces blood pressure.
- It has been discovered that it improves the condition of diabetes patients by controlling blood glucose.
- Patients with heart failure have been associated with coq10 deficiency and the plasma concentration of coq10 can now be used to predict heart failure.
- It is now used to reduce the effect of oxidative stress in heart surgery and improvement of the heart pump functions. It has been discovered to reduce the abnormal rapidity of the heart beat which results when the heart suffers from rhythmic disturbance caused by disturbances in the blood flow in its muscles.
- When taken as a supplement, it is shown to reduce migraine headaches.
- Investigations are underway to study it as a cancer treatment and in its use to offer relief from the side effects of cancer treatment such as radiation injury to the cells. There are studies which show that the body can use it to protect its cells from damage that may lead to cancer.
- It has been helpful in the relief of macular degeneration which is an eye condition in the elderly which results in gradual vision loss.
- It is widely used in topical cosmetic products because of its interaction with vitamin E which is beneficial to the skin.
- There are studies that show its effects on the reduction of the progression of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Other uses are in periodontal diseases, Parkinson’s disease, asthma and chronic fatigue syndrome.
Coenzyme Q10 is Integral
Try adding coq10 to your supplement regime and benefit from its many health promoting qualities. Aside from its powerful effect on a wide variety of ailments, it is a wonderful preventative measure to ensure good health. Promoting cell energy and doubling as a great detoxifier, it will fit in perfectly to your healthy lifestyle and allow you to enjoy further benefit from your current health regime.