Mercury Filling Dangers

A silver dental amalgam is not made from silver alone. Half of the alloy composition is made of mercury, a potent and extremely poisonous metal.

So what are mercury filling dangers?

When the body absorbs mercury, it accumulates in the fatty tissues. Unless the filling is removed, the mercury contained in it bonds with the structures of the central nervous system and reside within the body for a span of 15 to 30 years. Mercury contained in silver amalgam fillings leak in to our environment by means of human waste, burials, cremation, dental clinics, landfills and incineration. The mercury that lurks in our environment can be converted into a more toxic form known as methylmercury.


Dental amalgam can emit mercury vapor once it is implanted. The filling can give off approximately 15 micrograms of mercury vapor on a daily basis. In cases where an individual has four fillings in their mouth, the amount may increase to 80 micrograms daily. That is considered enormous, as eating seafood that is tainted with mercury has 2.3 micrograms and this is already alarming to the health. That means 80 micrograms per day can already be extremely alarming and the fillings should be removed and replaced immediately.


Since mercury is a neurotoxicant, exposure to it can result in psychological and neurological problems. The levels of toxicity can also boost the free-radical damage within the body. In pregnant women, this metal can pass through the placenta and to the developing fetus,  resulting possible disabilities and complications with development. Naturally, the amount of mercury fillings you have, the risk to experiencing various diseases is also higher. However, before opting for its removal, you first need to make sure that it is done by a professional biological dentist.


For the removal of the filling, this is what your dentist should do:


– Make use of a suction system that will contain mercury vapors and amalgam particles.


– Utilize high-volume evacuator near the tooth all the time to eliminate mercury vapor.


– Provide you with an alternative source of fresh air and remind you that you should not breathe using your mouth.


– Operate the vacuum system with maximum efficiency.


– Apply ample amount of water into the filling during the process of removal in order to minimize the amount of mercury vapor.


– Wash your mouth once the filling is completely removed.


– Put a rubber dam inside your mouth to keep you from inhaling or swallowing any form of toxins.


– Remove the amalgam in large proportion to minimize the generation of amalgam particulates and mercury vapor.


– Clean your face and protective wear once the fillings are completely removed.


– Have air purifiers running during the entire process to eliminate mercury vapor in the air.


Remove and Replace Your Amalgam Fillings

Any individual can be affected by mercury, from fetuses, pregnant and lactating women and young children. It affects those with kidney problems and weak immune system most dramatically because of difficulties detoxifying a chelating heavy metals. If your dentist used amalgam or mercury filling on your tooth, it would be best to have it removed as early as possible in order to prevent any mercury build up and potential poisoning.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top